Forum rules - please read before posting.

SortingMap: cannot drag Areas

Hello,

still following the 2D Game video tutorial. 
Now I am having troubles with SortingMap.

First of all, I have created it with the "Create" button in the Scene tab and the SortingMap shows in this way (arrows pointing up and right, not down & right as in the video)

When I click on "Add Area" the area n.1 is created in exactly the same position as the SortingMap and I am not able to move it (nor selecting with the "hand" tool nor clicking on the arrows) because I always move the SortingMap parent.

So, the two areas I was going to  create, actually get one on the other and I cannot position them on the scene:

I have tried several times and followed the tutorial again and again and I don't understand what I am missing.

Please, help! :-)

Ciao
Fabio

Comments

• edited April 2017
    Hi, Fabio. First select your Sorting Map object in the hierarchy tab (on the left), then look on the right side of your screen for the Inspector tab. Click it, it will give you more options. There, each area will have a Position field which you'll be able to modify. Anyway, let me know if you have any more questions. 

Good night (or good day? I don't know in which country you live in, lol).
  • Hi @Alverik, I have tried your suggestions but unfortunately even if I change position and order manually from the inspector, drag zones of Areas overlap and I am not able to move them...

BTW: I am from Italy ;-)

Ciao
    Fabio
  • edited April 2017
    Umm, that's weird, have you checked if the functionality works even if you don't move the handles yourself? (just assign the positions using the inspector and hit play). It could also be an issue with the way Unity is using pivots. To the right of the transformation tool buttons, you'll see 2 buttons (one saying Center, the other Global) Try changing Global to Local (just press the button). Then see if there's any difference. Also make sure that the Sorting map script is not collapsed (little arrow on the left of a component), many custom editors will not run if the script is collapsed in the inspector (which may hide the handles in this case). 

Anyway, if possible try posting a screenshot of your inspector (while the sorting map object is selected).
  • Sorry for the trouble.  Seeing a screenshot of the SortingMap's Inspector will definitely be useful in understanding this.

Also make sure that your Settings Manager's Camera perspective option is set to 2D, and Movement and turning is set to Unity 2D.

It may be that this is related to Unity 5.6, in which case try making use of the latest Unity patch which may address it.