Forum rules - please read before posting.

Render Layers AC Main Camera

Before I begin I wanted to give kudos on how great of a time saver I have found AC to be. Combining it with Unity Dialogue has been a real joy as I am move through my games development. 

With that said the time has come for me to start developing my models to populate my scenes. Currently I have two choices. 

My game is going to be black and white with splashes of color for emphasis and to draw the players eye. I know I can turn on and off image effects but I am curious if I can create a second camera to render only the colored layers. 
Basically have the Main Camera with the Grayscale filter. Have camera B that only renders a custom layer named Color. From reading this seems to be the go to way to handle this scenario in most cases. 

My other option would be to create all of my textures in Black n White except for the ones where I wish to have color. 

My only concern with option two is that during certain scenes I will be turning off the black and white filter and changing it to a custom one that is more vibrant. Again doable but if I can save time using multiple cameras then all the better. 

Thanks for anyone's assistance and if you need anything, purchase information etc, before answering don't hesitate to ask.  

Comments

• edited March 2017
    Welcome to the community, @GasLitTales.

On a purely performance level, the second option would be the more efficient.  I don't know what your target platforms are, but you may want to do that if you're looking at mobile devices.

The first option should be perfectly viable - though you'll need to do a little bit of (very simple) scripting.  AC's MainCamera shouldn't be played with too much, but changing the layers it renders is fine.

You then just need to create a separate camera that renders the Color layer, and have it copy the MainCamera's values every frame.  Changing the position, rotation etc is easy enough - you can just parent it - but you'll also need to make sure it uses the same Projection and FOV values.

To do this, you can give it a new C# script and put this inside it:

http://pasteall.org/310665/csharp

That will store its own Camera, and AC's MainCamera Camera components, as variables - and then copy the values from one to the other every frame.  Be careful not to update the original MainCamera prefab, however, as this will get overwritten when updating AC.  Instead, make this a new prefab and replace AC's own MainCamera prefab with it in each of your scenes.
  • Fantastic. I appreciate your welcome and it's a joy to be here. I will toy with both a little and see the impact to performance. Since I am going with a low poly feel and am shooting for a PC instead of mobile release It will be interesting to see which one is acceptable. My guess is on a PC release both will be fine as long as I utilize other methods to enhance performance. 

Again thanks for this assist.