Forum rules - please read before posting.

I want to set a global variable, call it CurrentObject, to object being looked at in a FPS.

In the hotspot prefab I want to set a global variable with either an object reference or object name of the current object being looked at. I think it has to be an object name because I don't see GameObject in the global variable "Type" field. This will allow other scripts/actions to access the fields of the current object. In general, I don't see a way to reference the object running an action.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to accomplish this? I've tried a few approaches but with no luck. I must be missing something obvious. 

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @spcmicro.

You can use parameters for this, rather than variables.  Parameters are a way of changing an ActionList's fields dynamically when run - see this tutorial.

If your Hotspot's Interaction contains a GameObject parameter, you can have the Hotspot pass itself to it when run.  You can then use that parameter in your Actions whenever a GameObject is required.
  • Thank you for the response. It wasn't clear how to access the current object but I get it now.