Forum rules - please read before posting.

Camera issues when updating from 1.52 to 1.56b

edited March 2017 in Technical Q&A
Hi, I have succesfully updated my project from 1.52 to 1.56b but I experience a camera Jitter. The 2D camera is following the player: the background is scrolling smoothly on 1.52 but it's sluggish on 1.56b. I have tried to work with the camera speed, if i decrease it a lot the situation is a bit better, but the camera is not stopping immediately as soon as the player stops (because is moving slower than the player). Maybe the camera following algorithm (or the player positioning) has been changed between the 2 versions of the engine? Is there something that I should check? 
thanks!

Comments

• Not that I recall.  Is your camera's Projection set to Orthographic or Perspective?

I can't detect any jittering with the 2D Demo - how does it play for you?

It may be related to your player.  Try it with the 2D Demo's Player, Brain2D (found in /Assets/AdventureCreator/2D Demo/Resources) by dropping him into the scene before running it.  If that ceases the jittering, what does your own player look like?  Post a shot of his Inspector.
  • The 2D demo is working without jittering. Dropping the demo player in my game didn't improve the situation :( My camera is Orthographic.

Anyway, after updating to 1.56b the player wasn't working anymore, so I had to check and remove some useless / wrong components from it.

This is my player (in the 1.56b - working nicely, besides the camera jittering problem):

This is sprite child:

The main camera:

The Camera i am using (following the player)

Before upgrading to 1.56b (so on the 1.52) my player was this:

Player (before updating):

Player sprite child (before updating):

This one worked on the 1.52version. I haven't changed the camera settings after updating. 
  • edited March 2017
    It suspect this is due to a combination of things.  Are you using Unity 5.6?  It may be due to a change in both AC and Unity.

Do things improve if you remove your Rigibody2D component?
  • Removing the Rigibody2D fixes the issue! I am developing on 5.5.0f3. I have tried with 5.6 (which is still beta at the moment), but nothing changed. I have also tried to change the Rigidbody settings to Kinematic / Static instead of Dynamic.

I can't go without the Rigidbody2D (triggers aren't working, for example). Is there a workaround for this or maybe it must be fixed in the next AC version?
  • It'll need to work with them, certainly - this was just a test to see if my hunch was right.

I'll PM you a script update package to test shortly - if it solves the issue, I'll include it in the next release.