Forum rules - please read before posting.

Possible bug: Character: Face Object very slow in build

Hi,

Not sure if this is Unity or an AC thing, but here's the issue.

I'm playing using a First Person view and have the action "Character: Face object" set to run when the player clicks on a hotspot standing at the bottom of a ladder. When the action runs the object to look at is at the top of the ladder.

It works as expected when the player faces the ladder directly and clicks on the hotspot, they look straight up the ladder at a normal speed. but if they are facing at a more of an angle, say facing more towards one of the side rails of the ladder, the player takes a long time, 10 seconds or so, to turn before looking up the ladder.

Strange thing is this only happens in the build and not in the editor.

I've narrowed the issue down to the parameter in the Player script "Turn Speed". When I turn it up high to like 15 the slow turn bug is faster, almost back to normal, however when the action is run facing directly at the ladder and not at an angle, it is too fast. The problem seems to lie in the turning and not the looking up.

I've done my best to find a good middle ground solution by setting the turn speed to around 8 or 9, but it would be nice to find a definite solution. And again, not sure if it's a Unity thing since the bug only appears in the build.

Here's the setting of my Character:Face object action

Comments

• Hard to say.  I shall try to recreate the issue on my end.  Are you using UFPS or any other asset that may be contributing?  Does the size of the build window have any effect on the speed?
  • Hey Chris,

I'm not using any other plugins like UFPS, but it seems I've solved the problem in the build. You mentioning adjusting the size of the build window had me adjusting the quality setting presets.The slow turn bug only shows up when I use Fastest, Fast, or Simple quality settings, I had been using Fastest. When I use the Good preset, and anything higher, it works fine, the turn speed it back to normal.

Strange thing is that now in the editor when using the Good preset, the face object action doesn't seem to work, so in my case the player doesn't look up the ladder now. This is something I can live with though since everything works as it should in the build.

Thanks!
  • If it's down to your Quality Settings, it suggests a Unity issue.  Turning it down to Fastest (the lowest) makes it even slower, I find.  I shall investigate further and see if anything can be done about it.
  • I think I've narrowed it down to the V Sync Count setting.