Forum rules - please read before posting.

How big can my scene be?

How big can my scene be?

Is it limited to a small area or could I make huge landscape if I wanted to?

Comments

• There's no real definitive answer to this, since it all depends on what you're trying to do. Adventure Creator itself won't limit the size of the playing area, if that's what you mean.

• Yes I am basically thinking if I wanted to have a cave a little Diablo style like that is pretty large, if  that would be possible?
  • I can't see why not. You just have to be smart about your textures, models, particles etc. Definitely consider using lod's for example.
  • Alright, thanks a lot :)
  • edited February 2017
    Also remember to properly setup your Occlusion Culling. You have to bake it and also mark proper objects as occlusion static(done from the same occlusion culling window - found in the Window menu). after that it's like Deckard said, just mind the following: 

1. On-screen Poly count (though this is not that big a deal nowadays, even mobile systems can handle a lot). 

2. Textures and materials, the real hog. Objects using the same identical material will be batched together and reduce drawcalls. In mobile sometimes using vertex colors instead of textures can be your friend :)

3. Shadows. Shadows are generally heavy, specially in most mobile systems, so you can go ahead and turn off receiving or casting shadows in appropriate mesh renderers (the floor won't cast shadows for example, but it will receive them).

4. Realtime lights. Same as shadows, if you are in Forward rendering, multiple lights close together will quickly eat away performance. Deferred mode can handle tons of realtime lights though, but it's not supported in tons of mobile systems (and will give issues with transparent/semiTransparent objects). 

5. Camera Image effects. Mentioning it for completeness. This can be quite a hog, specially on mobile so be careful what you use or how you configure your effects.

Also have in mind that having a single humongous level in a single scene will require more system ram than the same level broken into several smaller scenes, so you'll have to test it and see for yourself. This will depend a lot on your target platform though.