Forum rules - please read before posting.

Possible bugs: Music and SFX reduction for Speech

I think I've run into a couple more bugs related to the Speech system.

I have my dialogue and speech audio setup correctly after running the Gather Text option in the Speech settings. I have a Narrator10.ogg file in a Resources folder that matches a Dialogue with an ID of 10. The dialogue and audio play as expected.

The issue comes into play when I adjust the SFX reduction. It seems the Speech audio is also affected by the SFX reduction slider which I think is a bug. If I set the slider to 0 I can hear the Speech audio fine, setting it to something high like 0.8 I can barely hear the speech, setting it to 1.0 I can't hear it at all. I would expect the SFX reduction slider to not affect the Speech audio, but as it is now that's not happening.

The other issue has to do with the Music reduction slider. When a Speech audio plays from an Audio Source in the scene that has its Sound Type set to Speech,  I don't notice a reduction in the Music that is playing in the scene. However, Music volume is reduced as expected when Speech audio plays when a Dialogue action is run which is expected.
Here's how I'm setting this up,
-the player picks up a note in the scene with written text on it
-audio plays from Audio Source in the scene with Sound Type set to Speech simulating the protagonist reading the note and Music isn't reduced even though slider is set to 0.8
-player puts note down and a Dialogue action is run along with associate audio file Narrator10.ogg. Music is reduced as expected when Speech audio plays.

I would expect an Audio Source with Sound type set to Speech to also reduce the Music, which is not the case at the moment.

Comments

• SFX issue: yes, this sounds likely.  Narration is currently played via the scene's Default Sound prefab, which is set to SFX by default.  I'll look into the best way to combat this.

Music issue: Speech audio must be played using the provided AC Actions or functions - playing from a Speech AudioSource is not enough.  Though it may be expectant to be so, for that to be the case would require an overload of checks which would impact performance too greatly.
  • Thanks, Chris. Do you have estimate on when the fix for the Narration will be released? I would like to have time to figure out another solution if the fix doesn't come in the next few weeks or so since I plan to release my game in early April.
  • All releases are subject to change, but I plan to release v1.56 - fix included - in the next couple of weeks.