Forum rules - please read before posting.

Newbie to AC with query about 2.5D

edited February 2017 in Technical Q&A
Hi, I have been playing with Unity for a while and I am familiar with the interface etc. but I haven't taken the plunge and purchased AC just yet.

I have watched the 2.5D tutorial and feel it would work well with a few ideas I have, and I have a couple of questions...

In the tutorial you place 4 cameras with 4 photos all tied to one set of baked planes as a navmesh making up the walkable area. 
Would it be possible to set each camera individually with their own individual baked navmesh plane and use a teleport player option to move players to the next location? In theory treating each photo as its own entity but actually keeping them all seperate, but still on the one scene (if you see what I mean?)

Could I create a custom shaped walkable area using Probuilder and bake that as a Navmesh in Unity? As far as I am aware Unity planes tend to be just square which would mean using lots of them to define certain walk areas.

A bit of a generalised question ,but a while ago I made a 3D scene in Unity of an apartment for an idea I was playing with. I used Probuilder for the basic Geometery and lots of assets from the asset store to populate the rooms and add a bit of scenery etc. The only problem was Unity started to slow down and my project folder was over 3GB in size. Is there any tips for keeping the scene optimized especially when putting them together with AC? I want to build mainly for mobile use.

Definitely going to purchase, but is it going to be on sale anytime soon? I have bought a few assets that then went on sale a few days later which is kind of annoying to say the least LOL :)

Thanks for your help and thanks to Chris for bringing us AC.

Comments

• edited February 2017
    Welcome to the community, @ShadieB.

Would it be possible to set each camera individually with their own
    individual baked navmesh plane and use a teleport player option to move
    players to the next location? In theory treating each photo as its own
    entity but actually keeping them all seperate, but still on the one
    scene (if you see what I mean?)

Yes, that would be possible.  Bear in mind, however, that when teleporting, you will be resetting the player's motion and pathfinding.  This'll mean that you may find the character stop/starts a little bit when transitioning, but if you created a "walk in" cutscene after the teleport you could probably mask it well.

Could I create a custom shaped walkable area using
    Probuilder and bake that as a Navmesh in Unity? As far as I am aware
    Unity planes tend to be just square which would mean using lots of them
    to define certain walk areas.

There's no requirement to use squares - but the tutorial makes use of them so that no other assets / models are needed to follow along.  This tutorial covers how you can bake your scene with Unity's Navigation tools and use it with AC.

As the tutorial states, however, if you want to use "Point And Click" movement, then you will also need to have a floor collider that acts as the "mouse click catcher", which generally you'll want to be of the same shape as the NavMesh.

A bit of a generalised question ,but a while ago I made a 3D scene in
    Unity of an apartment for an idea I was playing with. I used Probuilder
    for the basic Geometery and lots of assets from the asset store to
    populate the rooms and add a bit of scenery etc. The only problem was
    Unity started to slow down and my project folder was over 3GB in size.
    Is there any tips for keeping the scene optimized especially when
    putting them together with AC? I want to build mainly for mobile use.

AC won't optimise your non-AC GameObjects, but does its best to keep its own performance high.  The upcoming v1.56 update will add further optimisations - particularly on mobiles.  Most tricks you'll want to employ, however, will be more general Unity tricks - e.g. merging your meshes, reducing texture sizes etc.

Definitely going to purchase, but is it going to be on sale anytime
    soon? I have bought a few assets that then went on sale a few days later
    which is kind of annoying to say the least

I do plan to have AC on sale soon, as it happens.  I first need to release v1.56, however, but that's hopefully not too far away.  I can PM you when AC is on sale, if you would like.
  • Hi Chris, thank you for the welcome, and also thank you for the help, it is very much appreciated.
    The tutorial on using Unity Navmeshes looks to be just what I need :)

A PM when AC goes on sale would be great but I really want to get started with it LOL 

Any idea of timeframe for v1.56 release and it going on sale?

Thank you :)
  • Hopefully 2/3 weeks, but as it's also dependent on Unity themselves, and other user issues, it's not something I can ever pin down exactly.
  • Thanks Chris, 
    I have no problem paying full price if a sale is going to be a few weeks away, it just gets annoying when you buy something and it then goes on sale only a few days later. 

Besides from what I have seen it looks to be well worth the asking price :)
    Thank you.
  • Have now purchased it from the Asset store and going to have a play.

Can't wait to jump in. :)