Forum rules - please read before posting.

Scrolling speech is awkwardly animated

When scrolling speech is approaching the end of a line, a long word at the end can wrap awkwardly, similar to how it works in a text editor. In professional games, you don't see this. Words are revealed and do not jump around as they are 'typed'. Is this going to be a feature at some point?

I'm noticing this seems to be a downside of every dialogue asset for unity. Is this something that's too difficult to figure out?

I solved this in my own projects before by animating the rich text color alpha, letter by letter. It's not super difficult to do but I'd like to avoid changing your code as I'm a novice programmer and I'd like to be able to update regularly without issue.

Comments

• It is indeed a difficult problem - and one that would cause a lot of trouble given AC's other text features like token replacement.

Though it might be a low-fi solution, you could get around it by inserting carriage-returns directly into the speech text once you've seen how it's displayed the first time around.
  • Thanks for all your quick replies Chris! I'm going to stop worrying about details until my game is actually a game. 

The lo-fi solution you provided is a good way of thinking of things. Can't be too precious about everything.

I wanted to say, thanks for making this tool and keeping it up to date! Your constant updating is what made me come back to the tool after worrying that using Asset Store code would become obsolete. 

I'll share some stuff soon!
  • Hi guys,
    It's been six months since the original post so I thought I'd check in to see if anything changed concerning this issue.

Thanks!
  • Not directly, but know that AC has since gotten custom events - one of which is triggered whenever a speech plays: see this tutorial.

While the solution I posted earlier is still my recommended method, it is feasible to use this event to play speech with your own UI system.  Meaning: if you found a separate script or alternative solution around this problem, you could bypass AC's speech UI in favour of a custom one.