Forum rules - please read before posting.

Point and Click + Free-Form Camera

Good Evening / Morning!

I am at the house of a fellow developer who bought AC a few weeks ago and swears by it. We sat down here about 30 minutes ago and we started goofing around with it...We are all drinking and the such and he told me to give it a shot so here I am! Also, forgive me if I'm less than grammatically correct :P 

So, first of all (not to sound critical), your search function is complicated lol... I searched "point and click" and got a ton of other stuff completely unrelated so when I asked him about the forum responses, he also praised it.  :D 

SO.. I dropped in a mixamo character, followed the written tutorial for animations (pretty damn cool!!) and selected "Point to Click"..  welp, it didn't go where I clicked it...   So I changed it to "Follow Cursor" and by God... It took right off perfectly! 

So I guess my question is, for the project I'm currently working on, could I actually use the Point to Click button to "click" a raycasted location and have it play the animations correctly?  

Secondly, (no so this time!) Free-Form Camera.  Cameras in Unity are pretty easy and are it's backbone but I find a lot of assets don't use them correctly.  Does this asset allow for true free-form camera freedom with raycasted movement / animation?  

If there is already a tutorial that I didn't see or a thread I couldn't find, feel free to trout-slap me, link me and close the thread :) 

Thanks guys/girls 

Comments

• edited March 2016
    So, first of all (not to sound critical), your search function is complicated lol... I searched "point and click" and got a ton of other stuff completely unrelated so when I asked him about the forum responses, he also praised it.  :D

No you are absolutely right, the search on the forums leaves a lot to be desired. I never use it myself. I use Google to search them instead, using this syntax:

site:http://www.adventurecreator.org/forum enter my search string here

This usually gives me much better and relevant results. It's difficult to beat Google when it comes to search.
  • Well, now people have made me aware of the Search box's inadequecies I'll look to see how it can be improved :p

Without meaning to sound pedantic, I'm assuming you mean "Point and click" rather than *to*.  This method requires you to have a NavMesh set up in your scene.  You have a couple of pathfinding methods when it comes to 3D - tutorials for them can be found here.

AC comes with it's own third-person camera (the "GameCamera Third Person" prefab in the Scene Manager), which supports free-form mouse movement and collision detection.  However, you are still able to integrate custom camera scripts / third-party cameras into an AC scene - just attach AC's "_Camera" component onto one, and it'll be visible to AC's Managers and Actions.
  • Keyword syntax ignores.. like 'and' and 'of etc.   No big deal, I also used Google's search engine to search your site ( would be easy to implement :)

At the moment I am pretty much being looked at with the guys with hangover with pity... I feel like they laced my drink with gasoline... 

But on a brighter note, I did find and modify the 3rd person camera last night / this morning and it doesn't quite fit the needs of what I'm needing.  It 'loses' the player often but I could definitely see the benefit if you were building an environment that comprised of static indoor environments.

With that said, if I do attach the _Camera as a Child to one of my cameras (tried this last night), it loses it's playable animations.  I could take a video, I'm sure I'm expecting too much but hopefully not!

As for the Point and click system I'm not sure what you mean.  I want to click on a navigable portion of the terrain and the character move there playing the correct animation (which is just walk)
    This does not seem to be working.  

• I'm uploading a video now and I'm heading home soon (as soon as I can pass a BAC lol).  

I'll give the benefit of the doubt and purchase the product once I get settled in at the house.  

I'll attach a video of what I'm doing and you will hopefully see my "point and click" issue.  The camera issue I can work around as long as I can attach custom cameras. 

• Session 1:  Holding down Left Click to 'drag' the Character around.
    Session 2: (no idea why the font changed..) Clicking the Left Click Button with no action happening.

As you can see the navmesh is set up as well. 
  • I created a terrain with gaia and a terrain mesh in 3ds for it, I'm going to try the "unity navigation" method and I've made a small default tile to see if that corrects the issue (the navmesh in 3ds was easy.. this method will take FOREVER but I will do it that way if need be.)
  • Well.. it works.. sorta.  I just made one large test area that has hills and the colliders work but the character will 'glitch' to the beginning of the movement path.  I think I can play with that and figure it out
  • You need to move the MainCamera out of the Player's hierarchy.  The MainCamera will position itself over whichever camera is the active one, and should not be moved indirectly by a parent.

You don't need to keep using the New Game Wizard to make simple changes - if you open up the Settings Manager (from the main AC Game Editor window), you can change your Movement method in there.  Anything you choose in the NGW can be changed later.

The NavMeshSegments provided for Unity Navigation are only there for convenience.  You can make any baked NavMesh work by placing the appropriate Collider (Terrain included) on the NavMesh layer, and flagging as "Navigation static".

If you haven't already, I would recommend going over the 3D Tutorial, as it covers the basics of working with AC.  Especially if you intend to go "off-piste" with customisation, it is important to understand to know how AC works by itself beforehand.