Forum rules - please read before posting.

Sectr Complete

I purchased Sectre Complete from the asset store recently hoping it could help with mobile performance of my game. Using Enlighten for mobile seems prohibitive since it slows things way down (baking in Unity 5 isn't great), but I thought perhaps I could try it using Sectr Complete. Problem is, I'm not quite sure how to use it with Adventure Creator. Is it at all compatible?

Comments

• I'd be quite interested to know how these assets work together as well, as I anticipate I'll start running into memory issues fairly soon.

I doubt there'd be much to setting up Sectr Stream as far as game assets go, but I wonder if there's anything else worth being concerned about: loading ActionLists dynamically, for example, since they're game objects.
  • Not having used it myself, I'm afraid I can't offer much guidance.  AC doesn't have much requirement in the way that levels are built - so long as there are colliders to walk on, and NavMeshes can be baked, things should be OK.
  • Thanks Chris, I'll give it a go and let you know of any 'gotchas' I come across. That's a good point GeometriX, I'll test it out as I go along. If you run into anything I'm all ears!

• Anyone tried this in an AC project yet? I'm rebuilding some of my large scenes to improve loading times, and remembered I had this around from a previous asset store sale (it's on 24 hour sale again at the moment), but the original project I was planning to use it for was scrapped.

It seems to be a bit of a relic from Unity 4.x times, so would be very interested in hearing from AC'ers if it's worth the extra complexity these days.
  • edited April 2017
    I don't own Sectr Complete, but the subject of level streaming interests me. I was thinking of eventually attempting to do this (for interiors) using Pixel Crushers' free Scene Streamer plugin, just have never had the chance to test it with AC. But when it comes to Sound propagation and reflection I'd rather use Steam Audio (Phonon) which is free and pretty good. Plus, the usage has been made to resemble working with Unity lights, so you can have realtime or baked audio sources, and it kinda fits right into the unity workflow.

PS: Oh, Sectr Core is free, guess I'll give that a try!(though, it seems to deal mostly with the dividing of the level, rather than the streaming?)
  • Exactly - Sectr Core is not going to be of much use without a lot of extra code.

Going to test Sectr Complete with my existing scenes and report back here about the experience. At least the audio system is probably going to require some integration scripting.
  • I was thinking about this recently too. It's mostly SECTR VIS and Core that I was interested in, though I never bought it.
  • edited April 2017
    Did some initial testing earlier today, and it seems to be the right solution at least for my specific loading time problems. Takes a bit of effort to set up, but the results seem worth it.

Now spending my evening writing to asset developers to get rid of 200+ console warnings after moving to Unity 5.6 and updating everything to the newest versions ... :-/

EDIT: Now writing new lyrics for this old favourite:

"I'm watching all the time, I'm made of metal, my circuits gleam.
    I am perpetual, I keep the console clean!!!"  :D

• Thanks for testing this out Snebjorn! I haven't been able to really give it a go yet myself and I'd been interested to know more about your process. Have you tested it on mobile?
  • Mobile is not really my thing, so no.

I expect to spend some time over the easter holidays integrating it with my AC scenes in general. Will share here. 
  • Have spent some time now testing it with AC. Relatively smooth sailing with SECTR VIS and STREAM so far, but it does require some extra work to set up plus a bit more planning than I'm used to when building scenes. Well, cleaning up my general workflow is probably not going to hurt, so will try it out with a combined version of the first few scenes I'm planning to release as the first chapter of my main project this summer.

There are some bigger locations later in the game which I think would be perfect for this, so getting it fully integrated into a relatively simple first version seems the way to go in terms of catching any problems as early as possible.

SECTR AUDIO is going to take a bit more work. I expect I'll test it in a hybrid setup with the standard AC sound system plus the Psai Music Engine and see how that works. My initial feeling is that it's going to require a bit more custom scripting than VIS and STREAM, and it introduces its own audio routing system, which could be more trouble than it's worth in a third person point'n'click adventure game, as opposed to your typical 1st person shooter.

Will of course share any findings and custom actions here over the next couple of months.
  • Thank you - definitely looking forward to it!