Forum rules - please read before posting.

displaying two journal pages at once

Hey

Is it possible to display two journal pages at once?
I'm using the journal system to make this phone book and if i try to sort of combine two pages into one with tabs and spaces it doesn't work well :(

Comments

• Not currently.
  • is there any workaround that can be considered?
  • edited November 2015
    Here is the way I did it:
    I created an inventory with only 1 slot and set a specific category only for journal pages.
    Then, I created .png sprite pages with pictures and text as items with that
    specific category. As I play I gather those gameobjects/pages through
    the scenes and they go to my  journal inventory.

The only drawback is that each page image has to be complete with 2 pages. So you scroll 1-2 page then 2-4 etc.
    One
    can actually make 2 inventories with 1 slot each and with 2 different
    categories and send to the respected inventory. But I have lots of text
    and pictures so I use 2 pages every time.

I discussed it here
  • I might consider that. the drawback is that now i will have to store a few dozen image files (increasese build size) and manually creata and inventory item for each page, which might take a lot of effort and isn't very easy to maintain
  • edited November 2015
    Yeah, but it works :) I just offered you the ways of doing it, since you asked for the help and I don't think Chris is gonna do it.
     I know how Chris feels about things like customizing games, since there are no limits and ways of doing it   :) And it's been asked before.

On a side note.
     Regarding the game files, the bigger the better. In my experience people tend to think the smaller the game size on your hard disk the smaller-shorter the game is.
    Not that I advise to increase your game with useless files, of course no. But it's just what we've learnt.

You game might be perfectly long and massive with a small size. But here is another catch , then people think developers made less game levels ( due to the cost of making) but made it harder to beat the game.
  • It's funny 'cause it's true!

And here I was worried about bloating my game with pre-rendered cutscenes in full HD ... :D
  • well, i think it was true about file size before, but now with Steam and the fact that this game will go on OUYA and tablets - that should be a factor. 

I am certainly considering doing it that way
  • thanks for the advice by the way

• I am considering this for v1.50.
  • May I chip in and ask for the Quest log :)
  • edited March 2016
    Found this thread trying to do the same. You've probably solved your problem by now but I'll leave my solution here in case someone else needs it. 

What I did was create two journal elements inside the main journal menu and position them side by side (I called them 'journalleftpage' and 'journalrightpage'). Then I set the 'next' and 'previous' page buttons to change the pages of both journal elements at the same time. Done! 

It works for my game because I add pages always in the same order. If you want to be able to add them in any order, it is possible to do it with variables. You would need to set a counter to which you add one point each time a journal page is added. Then each time you want to add a page you check the variable to see if it's even or odd, and add the page to the left or to the right journal element accoringly. A bit messy but... it works. 

• Bringing back this thread since I'm trying to get a two page journal for my game. I like DinaCardillo's idea, but I'm not sure how to check whether a variable is even or odd. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this?

My journal entry pickups aren't always going to be in the same order depending on how the player navigates the levels and my game is pretty heavy on memory as it is so I'd rather avoid adding every new page as a PNG, so the other methods mentioned above wouldn't work for me.

Thanks for any help you can give!
    Jason
  • The ability to show more than one page at a time was added since this thread was updated.  To do this, create a new Journal element to act as the other page, then set its Journal type field to Display Existing Journal.  You can then fill in the fields that appear beneath, to reference another Journal element to copy from (with a given page offset).
  • Thanks, Chris. This gets me closer to a solution. However, when using this method it adds the page twice to the journal. I might have something setup wrong.

Currently I have the main journal element with the journal type: New Journal, with the Linked Text slot pointed to one Unity UI text/label node for the left page. And then a 2nd Journal element set to "Display Existing Journal" pointed to another Unity UI text/label node for the right page. In the "Existing element name" I have it set to the main journal element.

When the player clicks on a hotspot an actionlist runs that adds a journal page to the main journal element. When I check the journal it has added the page to the main journal element and a duplicate to the 2nd journal element. How can I get it to not duplicate the page?

Thanks,
    Jason
  • You will need to set a Page offset # value of 1.  The new Journal element doesn't dupliate the other, it just displays the same pages of the original - but with the offset value you can tell it to show a different page as the other.
  • Almost there. I set the Page offset to 1 and am using the Offset Journal Click type on two buttons I made to offset the pages left and right. Both buttons have the offset amount set to 1. When picking up a new page I get the new page displaying as it should on one side but I can then turn the page and the other page shows the same newly acquired page which is not desired. I'm stumped as to where to go from here.
  • You're going to have to post some screenshots of your ActionList and Menu element properties I'm afraid, as I can't recreate the problem.

Does it work until the new page is added?  How many pages are in the journal to begin with, and does the previously-open page index make a difference?  Make sure that the new page is being added to the "source" journal only, and that the shift buttons only affect this source journal as well.
  • Sure, Chris. I created a test Journal just to double check my steps and here is the setup using Unity UI Prefab option. Here's the first screen of the menu setup of the source Journal, just using two pages, not adding a new page with an Actionlist for this example:

The 2nd Journal menu element:

Element shifting to the right:

Element shifting to the left:

And I just have a simple button to open the Journal and do nothing else. When it opens I get the first page and the option to go to the right:

Then when click on the button to go to the right I get the 2nd page displaying acting as a 3rd page which is also what happens if I start out with only one page and then pick up a new page to be added to the end of the Journal ('Index to insert into' set to -1):

Adding new pages gives similar results in that the last page picked up is shown again on the following page.
  • Apologies, but I'm having difficulty seeing the problem, exactly.  What is the issue after clicking "Right"?  After turning by one page, I would have expected the left to show "Page two", and the right to show nothing.  What is it you're expecting to see?

If you want to skip by two pages at a time, you can change the Offset amount to 2 in your Left/Right buttons.