Forum rules - please read before posting.

Anyone using Final IK with AC?

edited June 2014 in Technical Q&A
Just a quick question if anyone is using FINAL IK with their characters in AC?

I was wondering if using FINAL IK scripts on a character would break AC's controllers...

Unfortunately I'm not done with my character or I would just throw caution into the wind and experiment myself but I was just curious if anyone else had tried?

Comments

• Just seeking for the same question. I'm planing to use final ik with AC...

More than a year passed...so maybe someone has used this combo and could let us know something about the experience.

Thanks

• Im wondering this as well!
  • edited August 2015
    Hi everybody, I made a FinalIK setup some months ago with AC and it rocks. FinalIK is THE solution to get out of animation hell, where you need to do hundreds of small animations in order to take items, push buttons, sit somewhere etc. They never quite fit. With FinalIK you simply say, interact hand with button or take that object in your hand (after posing the hand, still some work required) and voila! Looks much more natural as well.

So yes, you can drop the FinalIK rig on the player and it does not break anything (walking is still driven by root motion animations) :-)

A cool idea for Chris would be to actually integrate that more natively so that AC supports FinalIK out of the box and that hotspots could be FinalIK targets for interactions! @ChrisIceBox: what do you think?
  • Thanks @10FingerArmy!

I just purchased it after lots of reading, watching about Final-IK and lastly your comment! :)

Hope @ChisIceBox could integrate as you say since I think as well this solution is a must.

On example of the things I want to do: I want my player of NPC to pick a fire torch and the walk and run with the hand lifted (and the fire torch on it). So I was trying to solve making a traditional key frame animation, but that's many time and effort. I think this IK solution just do what I want since Idle, walk and running should be untouched, and the IK should solve the hold position for the hand while the character is in one of those three positions.

Thanks!
  • As long as chris does not have any native support I think it would be great to keep posting interesting things into this thread what we learned or achieved. After my vacation I will upgrade to FinalIK 1.0 and try to post some things I did and hurdles I encountered. Would be really cool if others did the same on the road to gaining more experience :-)
  • I just bought it today (damn that asset store sale, it's draining my finances!) so have just started experimenting with it. Will post my findings here - there seems to be lots and lots of useful things you can do with it.

@10FingerArmy: the prospect of an escape from Animation Hell is what really convinced me! :-)
  • I will wait to the last few days of the sale to see if I will buy it or not, unfortunately I don´t have time to play around with my game this week so it´s up to you guys to convince me to buy it or not  :D

• edited August 2015
    Welp.  I went ahead and ordered it!  I'd love to hear how people setup their players with this...I've been having quite a number of issues with head turning, interacting with stairs, and just feeling like my characters aren't really grounded in the world, so I'm hopeful this will help!  @carlosrovira - Your idea is exactly one that I want to try as well.  Hopefully, it works!!  :)
  • Is everyone still building their players/NPCs with rigidbodies + capsule colliders?  I moved my players over to Character Controllers awhile back due to issues going up stairs, but curious if I should move back when implementing Final IK.
  • @themightyyzq I'm using Final IK with AC Player Script and Rigid Body + Capsule Collider and It's working ok, but I don't know if you would need to change it over again to this config...
  • Cool thanks @carlosrovira!  Did you end up having to do anything different with how your player object is setup or how it's dealing with layers?  Right now my player object is set to have pretty much all of the relevant components such as AC player script, animator, controller, etc...on the parent and then the model information and detect hotspots collider as different children.  Did you need to put the Final IK components on a object or did you put it all on the parent along with your player script, rigid body, etc...?  I ask because I was reading the Final IK thread over at the Unity forums and it seems like Partel was suggesting that a lot of this stuff needs to be on different objects so that the layers don't interfere with each other.  
  • No, I have a normal setup and my player is holding the all scripts at the root top node. I have yet not tested interaction script in Final IK, but I assume all goes at the same level.
  • Okay cool, thanks!  My player is still floating, so I'm wondering if there's something going on with Final IK and the Mixamo setup (all my characters are using Mixamo FUSE+AutoRig).  I'll continue to dig into it.
  • I know you've seen these, @carlosrovira, but Partel (the Final IK dev) has started posting more robust tutorial videos for Final IK.  Thought people here might be interested as well: 

• Just as a quick heads-up to anyone that might care:  I did get Final IK working with my characters in AC.  Keep in mind that I'm not using the Rigidbody+Capsule Collider.  I'm just using a Character Controller.

I have the Full-Body IK and the Grounder Full Body IK working together.  I had to have some pretty drastic settings in order for it to work, but then I dialed back the overall weight of the IK settings and it seems to be working pretty well.  I have noticed a few weird issues with joints and interaction with some floor-types/props in the scene, but that's just going to require some massaging of the data.

I have my characters setup to use Final IK's Interaction System as well, so I'll start down that path.  I might end up having to use Final IK for head-turning and whatnot as well, since it seems like my Mixamo characters were not behaving properly with AC's head-turning solution.  

Pretty cool stuff!
  • Sounds really awesome! Do you have the possiblity to post a short video?
  • I've put my own experiments with Final IK on hold while getting UFPS integrated in my project, but expect to start working on it again later this week.

Would be interesting to compare notes or even see some videos or demos posted here!
  • I'll try to put something together once I get all of my surface-based footsteps sounds working!  :D
  • That's also one of the things I need to work on, but it somehow keeps sliding down my TODO-list! :-D

• I hear you!  I *just* got it all working.  Check out this thread: http://www.adventurecreator.org/forum/discussion/2034/change-walk-sound#latest